Cobb Hill History
Cobb Hill, in Hartland, Vermont, is located in the Upper Valley region of the Connecticut River valley. It is the combination of two adjoining former dairy farms, a total of 260 acres. The Hunt farm, with the farmhouse just half a block from the village, had barns and silos, 15 acres of prime agricultural land, high pastures with beautiful views, and a large regenerating forest. The Curtis farm, more remote from the village, has a house, barn, and outbuildings, another 10 acres of bottom land, more pastures, a mature forest (including a 1000-maple sugarbush), and a small stream and pond. Both farms are on east-facing slopes of a north-south valley.
The farms became ours on December 1, 1997. The Curtis house and 2 acres of land have been sold to a member family of our community, with repurchase rights. The Hunt house is home to the Sustainability Institute.
In 2001 we broke ground and construction was completed in 2003, when the Common House was finished. Since that time, we have worked to landscape the commons and around our homes, finish the Common House attic and basement, maintain the farm buildings and do regular upkeep on the homes, road and land.